"Conceived in the hearts of those who saw the need, Born under those influences that only the tenderhearted can give, Nurtured by those whose time is without price, And brought to fruition by those who desire to serve the Lord."
Frank V. Hammar
President of the St. Luke's Hospital Board of Directors - 1928
St. Luke's Hospital admitted its first patient in 1866. At that time, the hospital was located in what is now downtown St. Louis, was staffed by seven physicians, and nursing was provided mostly by family members. Episcopalians founded the hospital with the mission of providing health care to any and all St. Louisans, regardless of their ability to pay. The hospital was named after St. Luke, the patron saint of physicians.
Six months after opening, the hospital's mission was put to test when a cholera epidemic hit the city. In the first 10 years of its existence, St. Luke's Hospital treated 7,000 people free of charge.
In 1904 the hospital moved to the intersection of Delmar and Belt Avenue, what was then the western edge of the city. The hospital continued to grow and expand, and in 1948 the Presbyterians of St. Louis joined with the Episcopalians and began operating the hospital as a joint venture.
In 1974, in order to meet the growing needs of the population of St. Louis and the city's residential migration westward, the hospital opened a second location at Highway 141 and Interstate 40. In 1984, St. Luke's sold its east campus and began operating solely from its newer and current location in Chesterfield, in west St. Louis County.
Today, St. Luke's mission continues with a Pediatric Care Center in north St. Louis County where children are seen regardless of their ability to pay for services, six Urgent Care Centers, and Surrey Place, an assisted living facility. In all, St. Luke's Hospital physicians and staff see thousands of patients every year, maintain a full-service hospital including cardiovascular care, oncology, surgery, pediatrics, orthopedics, hyperbaric oxygen therapy, neuroscience, therapy services, men's health, community outreach programs, women's health and labor and delivery services.